TERMS AND CONDITIONS (known also as "T&C"):
Fund of Science (FOS) is a crowdfunding platform specifically set up to help raise money for scientific research projects. Research projects are posted online at FOS and monetary contributions are invited from the public to help finance the execution of these research projects. FOS is expected to perform mainly as nexus for the meeting of researchers/scientists, interested donors, and other parties to communicate and interact.
Research projects must, as their main aim, address an original scientific question. There is no expectation that projects will automatically receive funds, or that potential donors are expected to make any contributions by default. Visitors to the website may browse for the simple purpose of interest and improving their knowledge. However well-intentioned this may be, we at FOS are aware that the best laid plans may not meet the expectations of all. As such, we wish explicitly lay out certain terms and conditions that users should be aware of as the basic limitations of all interactions on and use of FOS.
Researcher/Scientist/CampaignerFunder: Any person registered on FOS who makes the minimum monetary contribution requested by a campaigner.
You: Anyone of Researcher, Campaigner, Funder, or a visitor to FOS whether for participation or just browsing, and any person using FOS on behalf of any other person, corporation, or organization.
FOS: This website “Fund Of Science” and its owner(s) and responsible operator(s) of the site.
The T&C outlined here represents a binding agreement between you and FOS, concerning your use of the site, including but not limited to, any content, information, goods and services that may be read at, contained in or submitted on FOS. These conditions apply whether or not you are a registered user of FOS. These T&C also encompass any rules, guidelines, or requirements outlined on the website, that are mentioned outside of these T&C and that apply to the operation of FOS.
These T&C can be modified by us at FOS at any time without prior notice, and you agree that it is your responsibility to check the T&C periodically to update your information on the T&C. A good faith effort may be made by FOS to inform you of these changes, but is not implied or required.
MINORS UNDER THE AGE OF 18: Researchers/Scientists under the age of 18 MUST provide signed consent from a parent, legal guardian, school principal, or school teacher before submitting projects to FOS. No exceptions. Kids/Teens – please note that this is for your own safety. Since we may attempt to verify consent, fake letters could get you into trouble. Registering and signing on including contributing funds does NOT require WRITTEN consent, but consent of a parent, guardian, or teacher/principal will be implied.
A. BASIC DO'S AND DONT'S WHEN USING FOS:
- Obey the law: You will ensure your working is within all applicable laws in your jurisdiction, ours and elsewhere as applicable, will not violate the rights of anyone, nor violate your duties and responsibilities to anyone else.
- Follow these terms and conditions: These T&C are binding and you should not circumvent them, either in letter or spirit. When unsure of anything please contact us.
- Do not plagiarize from FOS: Do not use or reproduce any materials, content or information on FOS without asking us first.
- Do not hack this site: Do not generally modify this site in any form or interfere with the transmission and collection of any information on this site. You will modify only that which is reasonably necessary for you to use FOS solely for its intended purpose.
- Do not use other people’s information: Do not collect or use personal or identifiable information on any person or persons who post on this site for any other purpose.
- Be responsible for all your interaction with FOS: You will be responsible for any information, content or materials you post on FOS. You may not post projects or offer any rewards that are illegal, violate FOS rules or guidelines, or violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, or regulation. You will not do anything threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, obscene, profane, or invasive of another person’s privacy.
- Ensure that you have all rights, permissions and protections you may need to operate your project: Do not submit information that you have no rights over, have no permission to reproduce, or that rightfully belongs to someone else, without proof of their explicit permissions.
- Remember we at FOS will be the ultimate judge to these T&C, and will take all available remedial steps against any actions we deem are in violation of these T&C either in their letter or spirit.
B. REGISTRATION ON AND USE OF FOS:
All users of FOS who wish to post projects as scientists/researchers, or contribute money as funders, or users who wish to interact with the site in any direct form, are required to follow the registration process, that among other things will collect personal identifiable information, your email address and other particulars. THIS INFORMATION IS SOLELY FOR THE USE OF FOS TO ADMINISTER THE SERVICES ON FOS AND WILL NOT BE SOLD, RENTED OR SHARED WITH THIRD PARTIES NOT DIRECTLY CONNECTED WITH FOS. You are advised that your information is expected to be accurate and complete to the best of your knowledge, and you cannot impersonate or otherwise use the identity of anyone else other than you yourself, irrespective of whether you may be authorized to do so. Any breach of these conditions will result is cancellation of the said account and discontinuation of all services to you by FOS solely at the discretion of FOS, and we will seek restitution for damages incurred by us or others, as the case may be.
Nevertheless, you alone are responsible for the protection of your registered account, and are expected to notify FOS of problems in a timely manner. This latter notification does not necessarily require any action by FOS on your behalf (please see also WARRANTY DISCLAIMER below), for recovery or restitution of any damages that may accrue. Registration, as outlined in (B), on FOS is free. No other person or persons or entities can ask you to make any payments for using FOS.
C. RAISING FUNDS OR DONATING FUNDS FOR PROJECTS AND ITS RELATED ACTIVITIES:
FOS ITSELF DOES DIRECTLY PROVIDE AN MONEY, PAYMENT, OR KIND FOR PROJECTS OR ACTIVITIES ON FOS, NOR DOES IT GAURANTEE THE FUNDING OR FUNDABILITY OF, OR RECEIPT OF DONATIONS FOR, ANY PROJECT.
1. Information for Donors: All funds pledged by you are processed and held by a third party payment processing and aggregation company. WE AT FOS DO NOT SEE OR HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION OR THE ENSUING FINANCIAL TRANSACTION. The processing company used will be identified at the time of you making your contribution, and your decision to use the said company is solely your rresponsibility. Remember, that your contributing monies are taken as being made of your own free will, and that the discretion of which project to contribute to is solely your own. The fact that FOS hosts the said project does not mean FOS in any way guarantees or warranties any aspect of any project, including its worthiness to be funded. Your donation does not give you any rights or permissions whatsoever over the said project, and all ownership, copyrights and permissions reside with the project Researcher/Scientist, including the rights to solicit additional funds on FOS or outside of FOS.
FOS will try to ensure that funds collected are used for the said project, and by the appropriate campaigners, but is not under such obligation nor is that a term of service offered by FOS. FOS reserves the right to exercise this aforementioned oversight function as it deems fit. FOS hopes that these transactions between funder and Researcher/Scientist occur without incident, and hence reserves the right to cancel any project, its deposited funds, and terminate the use of any funder or Researcher/Scientist of FOS as it deems fit, without warning or explanation. Any damages or inconveniences, material or otherwise will not be the concern of FOS. Where FOS has deemed by its own review that funds faithfully pledged need to be refunded, it will make good faith efforts that such refunds can take place, but without any obligation or promise of service in this regard. Notwithstanding any statements herein, you the funder are notified that all contributions, monetary or otherwise, are for all intents and purposes and under any and all circumstances be considered non-refundable, and the decision of refund is solely the discretion of FOS.
2. Information for Researcher/Scientists (Project Submitters): The best efforts of FOS, though not guaranteed or warrantied in any way, is to enable an honest and faithful understanding between Researchers and funders. As a Researcher/Scientist, your submission of a project, its nature, content, or information is solely your discretion. You are responsible for all aspects of its display on FOS, its dissemination, and its execution however required. Ipso facto, all rights, permissions, copyrights and trademarks that you hold in the project remain yours, the Researcher/Scientist, and cannot be usurped by FOS. Thus also, the protection of any intellectual properties or rights etc. are your responsibility and should be carefully protected before dissemination on FOS. You are also given notice that you will not misrepresent the project in anyway, will not use materials you do not have rights over, or make false claims over any aspect of the project. FOS reserves the right of discretion over these matters.
Your submission of a project does not guarantee any monetary contributions, nor is that guaranteed by FOS or that your goals will be met. Further, the mere submission of a project for review will not lead to its display on FOS. FOS will exercise right of discretion over the decision to accept or deny any project. You will also be responsible for any fees, costs, taxes or financial obligations that arise from the receipt of funds, and are encumbered by all the prescribed institutional guidelines and oversight that the institution where you will execute the project may impose upon you.
D. WARRANTY & LIABILITY DISCLAIMER:
THE SITE AND THE SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" AND ARE WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. FOS, AND ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, SUPPLIERS, PARTNERS AND CONTENT PROVIDERS DO NOT WARRANT THAT: (A) THE SITE WILL BE SECURE, UNINTERRUPTED, OR AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; (B) WILL BE FREE OF ANY DEFECTS; (C) ANY CONTENT OR SOFTWARE AVAILABLE AT OR THROUGH THE SITE IS OR WILL BE FREE OF ELECTRONIC MALWARE OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS; OR (D) THE RESULTS OF USING THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS. FOS FURTHER DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR SERVICES OR GOODS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON THE SITE OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY SERVICES OR INFORMATION MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE OR RECEIVED THROUGH ANY MANNER PROVIDED BY THE SITE. IN NO EVENT SHALL FOS, OR ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, SUPPLIERS, REPRESENTATIVES OR CONTENT PROVIDERS, BE LIABLE, UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUAL ARGUMENT, WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE OR THE SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, OR FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING, OR FOR ANY LOSS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, COST OF LOST GOODS OR SERVICES, OR FOR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, HOWEVER ARISING.